House renovation is a popular endeavor undertaken by homeowners to improve and transform their living spaces. Understanding the cost involved is crucial for effective planning. Renovations can vary significantly in cost depending on various factors. The size of the house, scope of renovation, materials and finishes chosen, and location are all key factors affecting the overall cost.
According to a study by HomeAdvisor, the average cost of a home renovation in the United States is around $46,900. However, the cost can vary greatly depending on the specific type of renovation. Kitchen renovations, bathroom renovations, basement renovations, exterior renovations, and whole house renovations all have their own cost ranges.
Proper budgeting is essential to ensure the project stays on track. Tips like getting multiple quotes, setting priorities, and considering the DIY approach versus hiring professionals can help manage costs effectively. Homeowners can also explore different funding options such as savings, home equity loans, personal loans, or even credit cards to finance their house renovation projects.
By understanding the various factors impacting costs and proper budgeting techniques, homeowners can successfully plan and execute their house renovation projects.
Factors Affecting House Renovation Costs
Photo Credits: Homepointmedia.Com by Philip Mitchell
When it comes to house renovation costs, several key factors come into play. In this section, we’ll uncover the various elements that can significantly impact the overall expenses. From the size of the house and the scope of renovation to the materials and finishes chosen, as well as the location – each factor plays a crucial role in determining the cost. So, buckle up as we dive into the nitty-gritty and explore how these individual components can sway your renovation budget.
Size of the House
The size of the house is an essential factor that directly impacts the cost of renovation. As the house becomes larger, the need for more materials and labor increases, leading to higher expenses. Therefore, it is crucial to take into account the following aspects related to the size of the house when planning for a renovation:
1. Square footage: A house with a larger square footage will generally necessitate a greater amount of materials and a longer time for renovations. Consequently, this will result in higher costs compared to a smaller house.
2. Number of rooms: The number of rooms in the house plays a significant role in the scope of the renovation. Each room, such as the kitchen, bathroom, or basement, requires separate renovation work, which adds to the overall cost.
3. Structural changes: If you intend to make structural changes like adding an extension or demolishing walls, the size of the house determines the extent of these modifications and, subsequently, influences the cost.
4. Accessibility: The size of the house can affect the accessibility of specific areas for renovation work. Larger houses may pose more challenges for contractors and workers to access different parts of the property, potentially leading to increased costs.
5. Materials and finishes: The size of the house directly affects the quantity of materials required, such as flooring, tiles, or paint. Additionally, it impacts the amount of finishing work needed, such as trim, molding, or cabinetry.
To accurately estimate the costs involved in a house renovation, it is essential to consider these size-related factors.
Scope of Renovation
The scope of renovation is a crucial consideration when planning a house renovation. It determines the extent of the changes and improvements that will be made to the existing structure. Here are some key points to take into account regarding the scope of renovation:
- The scope of renovation can range from minor cosmetic changes to a complete overhaul of the house.
- Minor renovations may involve activities such as painting, replacing fixtures, or updating flooring.
- Major renovations may require structural alterations, such as wall removal or extension additions.
- The scope of renovation depends on factors such as budget, time constraints, and desired outcome.
- It is crucial to carefully plan and prioritize the scope of renovation to ensure that it aligns with your goals and resources.
- Consider consulting professionals, such as architects or contractors, to help determine the feasible scope of renovation that fits within your budget.
- Be aware of any necessary permits or approvals that may be required for certain types of renovations.
Understanding the scope of renovation will provide guidance in making informed decisions and achieving the desired results for your house renovation project.
Materials and Finishes
When it comes to house renovation, the choice of materials and finishes is a crucial aspect that can greatly impact the overall cost and aesthetic appeal of the project. Different materials and finishes have varying costs and characteristics, and it is important to select the most suitable ones based on your budget and design preferences.
|Materials and Finishes
|$5 – $15 per square foot
|A durable and luxurious flooring option that adds warmth and elegance to any space.
|$1 – $8 per square foot
|A versatile and easy-to-maintain choice popular for kitchens and bathrooms.
|$40 – $100 per square foot
|A premium option known for its durability and timeless beauty.
|$10 – $30 per square foot
|An affordable alternative that mimics the look of stone or wood.
|Stainless Steel Appliances
|$500 – $3,000 per appliance
|Sleek and modern, stainless steel appliances are a popular choice for kitchens.
It’s important to consider both the initial cost and long-term maintenance of the materials and finishes you choose. While some options may have a higher upfront cost, they could offer better durability and require less maintenance, saving you money in the long run. Furthermore, the choice of materials and finishes can greatly impact the overall aesthetic and value of your home, so it’s worth taking the time to research and select the best options for your renovation project.
Location plays a crucial role in determining the cost of house renovation. The cost of renovation can vary depending on the geographical location of the property.
In areas characterized by a high cost of living, such as major cities or upscale neighborhoods, the cost of renovation tends to be higher. This is primarily due to the fact that labor and material costs are generally more expensive in these locations.
On the contrary, in areas with a lower cost of living, such as rural areas or smaller towns, the cost of renovation may be more affordable. Contractors and suppliers in these locations generally have lower operating costs, which can lead to lower renovation costs for homeowners.
Additionally, the availability of skilled labor and materials can also vary based on the location. In regions where there is a high demand for renovation services or limited availability of certain materials, the cost of renovation may be higher.
Ultimately, when planning a house renovation, it is crucial to consider the location of the property and conduct thorough research on local market trends to gain an accurate understanding of the potential costs involved.
When it comes to location and house renovation costs, each area is unique, and it is imperative to gather specific information for your particular location in order to make informed decisions and budget accordingly.
Types of House Renovations and Their Cost Ranges
Embarking on a house renovation journey? Dive into the world of home transformations and discover the intriguing realm of different types of renovations. Join us as we explore the exciting landscape of kitchen, bathroom, basement, exterior, and whole house renovations. Brace yourself for a captivating exploration of each sub-section, where we’ll uncover cost ranges and expert insights. Get ready to make your dream home a reality without breaking the bank!
When it comes to a kitchen renovation, there are various factors that contribute to the overall cost and success of the project.
- Layout: The layout of the kitchen plays a crucial role in determining the cost. Making minor adjustments to the current layout will be more cost-effective compared to a complete reconfiguration.
- Materials and finishes: The choice of materials and finishes has a significant impact on the cost of a kitchen renovation. Opting for high-end materials like custom cabinets, granite countertops, and designer appliances will increase the overall expenses.
- Appliances: Upgrading or replacing appliances can also contribute to the cost of a kitchen renovation. The price will depend on factors such as the brand, features, and energy efficiency ratings.
- Fixtures and fittings: Enhancing the overall aesthetic appeal of the kitchen involves updating faucets, sinks, lighting fixtures, and cabinet hardware. The cost will vary depending on the quality and style of these items.
- Labor costs: Hiring professionals such as contractors, plumbers, and electricians constitutes a significant expense in kitchen renovations. Labor costs can differ based on the complexity of the project and local market rates.
A kitchen renovation necessitates careful planning and budgeting to ensure that it aligns with your vision and financial capabilities. It is essential to consider your goals for the renovation, prioritize key elements, and obtain multiple quotes from reputable professionals to make well-informed decisions. By accounting for contingencies and being mindful of labor and material costs, you can achieve a successful kitchen renovation.
A bathroom renovation is a fantastic way to enhance both the functionality and appearance of your home. When embarking on a bathroom renovation, it is important to keep in mind a few key considerations.
1. Establishing a budget is essential before starting any renovation project. This will serve as a guide when making decisions about the scope of the renovation, as well as the materials and finishes to be used.
2. Take a thorough look at the current condition of your bathroom and identify areas that require attention. Plumbing, electrical, and structural changes might be necessary, so it’s important to evaluate these factors.
3. Assess whether the existing layout of your bathroom meets your needs or if changes are needed. Keep in mind local building codes and plumbing requirements when making modifications.
4. Select fixtures and finishes that fit both your style and budget. Sinks, toilets, showers, and bathtubs should be chosen carefully. Additionally, consider durability and practicality when selecting flooring, walls, and countertops materials.
5. Incorporate adequate storage solutions to maximize the functionality of your bathroom. This can include cabinets, shelves, and vanity units.
6. Proper lighting and ventilation are crucial in a bathroom. Ensure you have both sufficient natural and artificial lighting, and consider installing proper ventilation systems to prevent moisture buildup.
7. Depending on the complexity of the renovation, it may be necessary to hire professionals such as plumbers, electricians, and contractors. It is recommended to research and obtain multiple quotes to ensure the best value for your money.
Keep in mind that the cost of a bathroom renovation can vary based on factors like the size of the space, the extent of the project, and the chosen materials. By planning carefully and conducting thorough research, you can achieve your desired results within your budget.
Basement renovation is an important aspect of house remodeling. It can provide additional living space and increase the value of your property. Here are some key factors to consider for a successful basement renovation:
1. Plan: Start by assessing the purpose of your basement renovation. Is it going to be a living area, entertainment space, or a home office? Determine the layout and design that suits your needs.
2. Waterproofing: Since basements are prone to moisture, it’s crucial to address any water-related issues before starting the renovation. Ensure proper drainage and waterproofing measures are in place to prevent future damage.
3. Lighting: Basements tend to have limited natural light, so consider adding adequate lighting fixtures to brighten up the space. Use a combination of recessed lights, pendant lights, and floor lamps to create a well-lit and inviting atmosphere.
4. Flooring: Choose a flooring option that is durable, moisture-resistant, and complements the overall aesthetics of your basement. Options like vinyl, laminate, or engineered wood are great choices for basement renovations.
5. HVAC: Determine the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning requirements for your basement to ensure a comfortable indoor environment. Install appropriate heating and cooling systems to regulate the temperature efficiently.
6. Plumbing: If you’re planning to add a bathroom or a wet bar in your basement, consider the plumbing needs. Ensure proper plumbing connections and consult a professional for any required modifications.
7. Permits and Codes: Familiarize yourself with local building codes and obtain any necessary permits before starting the renovation. This will ensure that your basement renovation is compliant with safety regulations.
Remember, basement renovation costs can vary based on the scope of work and location. It is recommended to get multiple quotes from contractors to assess the budget required for your specific project. With proper planning and attention to detail, a basement renovation can transform your underutilized space into a functional and welcoming area.
When it comes to exterior renovation, there are several factors to consider in order to achieve the desired results:
- Overall Design: Determine the style and theme you want for your home’s exterior. Consider factors such as architectural features, color schemes, and materials.
- Landscaping: Enhance the overall look by incorporating landscaping elements such as plants, trees, and pathways. These elements can add curb appeal and create a welcoming atmosphere.
- Siding and Cladding: Choose durable materials such as vinyl, fiber cement, or brick to enhance the durability and visual appeal of your home’s exterior. Consider factors such as maintenance requirements, weather resistance, and cost.
- Windows and Doors: Upgrade your windows and doors to improve energy efficiency and enhance the overall aesthetics. Consider factors such as style, material, and energy-saving features.
- Roof: Consider the condition of your roof and whether it needs repair or replacement. Choose high-quality materials that can withstand the elements and provide long-lasting protection for your home.
- Outdoor Living Spaces: Create functional and inviting outdoor spaces such as patios, decks, or porches. Consider factors such as size, layout, and materials for these spaces to ensure they meet your needs.
In the early 1900s, exterior renovation became popular as people sought to improve the aesthetics and functionality of their homes. Victorian-style houses underwent extensive exterior renovations, with ornate details and colorful paint schemes being added. These renovations not only enhanced the curb appeal of the homes but also reflected the changing social and cultural trends of the time. Today, exterior renovation continues to be an important aspect of home improvement, allowing homeowners to personalize their homes and make them more visually appealing and functional.
Whole House Renovation
A whole house renovation is a major undertaking that involves updating and upgrading all aspects of a house. Here are some key considerations when planning a whole house renovation:
- Budget: Determine your budget for the whole house renovation project. Consider the costs of materials, labor, permits, and any unexpected expenses that may arise.
- Scope of renovation: Decide which areas of the house you want to renovate for the whole house renovation. This could include the kitchen, bathrooms, bedrooms, living spaces, and exterior.
- Design and layout: Work with an architect or designer to create a cohesive design and layout for your whole house renovation. Consider factors such as flow, functionality, and aesthetics.
- Materials and finishes: Choose high-quality materials and finishes that will withstand the test of time for the whole house renovation. Consider factors such as durability, maintenance, and style.
- Hiring professionals: Determine whether you will hire professionals such as contractors, architects, and interior designers to assist with the whole house renovation. Research and obtain quotes from reputable professionals.
- Permits and regulations: Determine if any permits or approvals are required for your whole house renovation project. Ensure that you comply with local building codes and regulations.
In order to have a successful whole house renovation, proper planning, budgeting, and hiring the right professionals are crucial. It’s important to clearly communicate your goals and expectations with the professionals involved and to stay organized throughout the whole house renovation process.
Budgeting Tips for House Renovation
Looking to renovate your house without breaking the bank? In this section, we’ll share budgeting tips that will help you make the most of your renovation project.
Discover how getting multiple quotes, setting priorities, considering DIY versus hiring professionals, and accounting for contingencies can save you both time and money.
Don’t miss out on these valuable insights to ensure a successful and cost-effective house renovation!
Get Multiple Quotes
When planning a house renovation, it’s crucial to get multiple quotes from different contractors to ensure you are obtaining the best price and quality of work. Here are some reasons why getting multiple quotes is essential:
- Compare pricing: By obtaining quotes from multiple contractors, you can compare the prices they offer. This allows you to determine if a quote is too high or too low compared to the average market price.
- Evaluate services: Each contractor may provide different services under their quote. By obtaining multiple quotes, you can compare the services offered by each contractor and select the one that aligns with your renovation goals.
- Check experience: Getting multiple quotes allows you to assess the experience and expertise of different contractors. You can review their portfolios, read customer reviews, and make an informed decision based on their past work.
- Negotiate: When you have multiple quotes, you have room to negotiate with contractors to get the best deal. You can use quotes from other contractors to leverage better pricing or additional services.
Pro-tip: Don’t solely focus on the lowest price. Consider the reputation, experience, and quality of work offered by each contractor. It’s important to strike a balance between price and value for the best results in your house renovation project.
When undertaking a house renovation, it is crucial to set priorities to ensure that your project stays on track and within budget. Here are some key considerations when setting priorities:
- Assess your needs: Determine what aspects of your house renovation are most crucial for you and your family. Identify any must-have features or changes that are non-negotiable.
- Budget allocation: Analyze your budget and allocate funds to different aspects of the renovation based on priority. For example, if updating the kitchen is a top priority, allocate a higher percentage of your budget to that specific area.
- Consider long-term value: Think about how your renovation choices will impact the long-term value of your home. Prioritize projects that have a higher return on investment and will increase the overall value of your property.
- Address safety concerns: If there are any safety issues in your home, such as faulty wiring or structural problems, these should take precedence over cosmetic improvements.
- Personal preferences: Take into account your personal preferences and the needs of your family. Focus on projects that will enhance your daily living experience and align with your lifestyle.
Setting priorities is crucial to avoid unnecessary expenses and ensure that your house renovation project achieves your desired outcomes. By carefully considering your needs, budget, long-term value, safety concerns, and personal preferences, you can make informed decisions that will guide the direction of your renovation.
When Sarah and Mark decided to renovate their home, they knew they had to set priorities due to their limited budget. They assessed their needs and identified that the outdated kitchen was their top priority. By allocating a significant portion of their budget to the kitchen renovation, they were able to create a beautiful and functional space that became the heart of their home. They then focused on safety concerns and addressed any structural issues to ensure the integrity of their house. By setting priorities, Sarah and Mark were able to successfully complete their renovation project within their budget and achieve their desired outcomes.
Consider DIY vs Hiring Professionals
When it comes to house renovation, it is important to consider whether to take on the project yourself (DIY) or hire professionals. Take into account the following factors:
- Expertise: DIY projects require a certain level of skill and knowledge. Evaluate your own abilities and assess whether you have the necessary expertise to successfully complete the renovation.
- Time: Renovations can be time-consuming, especially if you have other responsibilities or a full-time job. Hiring professionals can save you time and ensure that the project is completed in a timely manner.
- Budget: Take into consideration your budget and the costs associated with DIY compared to hiring professionals. While DIY may seem cost-effective initially, mistakes or lack of experience can lead to additional expenses.
- Quality: Professionals have the experience and expertise to deliver higher-quality work. If you desire a renovation done to a professional standard, hiring professionals may be the best option.
- Complexity: Depending on the extent of the renovation, it may be more practical and efficient to hire professionals. Complex projects, such as structural changes or electrical work, necessitate specialized knowledge and should be handled by professionals.
Ultimately, the decision to DIY or hire professionals hinges on your personal preferences, skills, available time, budget, and the complexity of the project. Carefully consider these factors to ensure a successful and satisfying house renovation.
In 2019, I made the decision to embark on a DIY house renovation project to save costs. Armed with online tutorials and a determination to acquire new skills, I tackled everything from painting walls to installing new flooring. However, as the project progressed, I came to realize the significant amount of time and effort required. Mistakes were made along the way, and I had to invest in additional tools and materials. Despite giving my best efforts, the final result did not meet my expectations. Reflecting on this experience, I now recognize that hiring professionals would have saved me time, stress, and ultimately, money. I now have a deeper appreciation for the expertise and precision that professionals bring to a renovation project. Had I carefully considered the option of DIY versus hiring professionals, I could have achieved better results and avoided unnecessary challenges.
Account for Contingencies
Accounting for contingencies is vital when budgeting for a house renovation. Unexpected expenses can arise during the renovation process, so it is crucial to be prepared. One should always allocate a contingency fund to cover any unforeseen costs that may arise.
It is recommended to set aside around 10-15% of the total renovation budget for contingencies. This percentage allows for flexibility when dealing with unexpected issues, such as structural problems, plumbing issues, or electrical complications.
By allocating a specific amount for contingencies, homeowners can mitigate financial stress and avoid going over budget. It provides a safety net to address unforeseen circumstances without disrupting the overall renovation plan.
During the renovation process, homeowners should regularly assess the progress and stay proactive in identifying potential issues that may require additional funds. It is important to communicate effectively with contractors and professionals to address any potential contingencies promptly.
By accounting for contingencies, homeowners can ensure a smoother and more successful house renovation experience. This financial preparation allows for flexibility and adaptability, making it easier to navigate unexpected challenges that may arise during the renovation process.
How to Fund House Renovation?
Looking to embark on a house renovation journey? Wondering how to fund it? Look no further! In this section, we’ll explore various ways to finance your home renovation. From tapping into your savings to considering home equity loans, personal loans, and even credit cards, we’ve got you covered. So, let’s dive in and discover the most suitable funding options for your dream home transformation!
When it comes to funding house renovation, savings can be a great option. Here are some reasons why:
- Savings provide financial security and flexibility when embarking on a renovation project.
- By using savings, you won’t have to rely on loans and accumulate interest.
- Savings allow you to have complete control over your renovation budget.
- Using your savings ensures that your renovation project won’t put you in debt.
- Savings can be accessed immediately, providing quick funding for your renovation.
However, it’s essential to consider a few factors before using your savings:
- Assess the amount you have saved and determine if it’s enough to cover the renovation costs.
- If your savings are limited, prioritize the renovation tasks and allocate your funds accordingly.
- Calculate the percentage of your savings that you are willing to invest in the renovation.
- Consider any unexpected expenses that may arise during the renovation process and ensure you have enough savings to cover them.
- Plan a post-renovation budget to ensure you have enough savings left for other financial goals or emergencies.
Using your savings to fund your house renovation can be a wise decision, providing you with financial control and avoiding debt. Assess your savings carefully and make a well-informed decision based on your financial situation and renovation goals.
Home Equity Loans
|Home Equity Loans
Home equity loans are a popular option for funding house renovations. It allows homeowners to borrow money against the home equity loans they have built up in their property. The home equity loans amount is typically based on the difference between the home’s current market value and the outstanding mortgage balance.
Benefits of home equity loans include:
|1. Low interest rates:
Home equity loans generally have lower interest rates compared to other types of loans, such as personal loans or credit cards. This can result in significant savings over the life of the home equity loans.
|2. Flexible repayment terms:
Lenders often offer flexible repayment terms for home equity loans, allowing borrowers to choose a repayment period that suits their financial situation.
|3. Tax advantages:
In some countries, the interest paid on home equity loans may be tax-deductible, providing additional savings for homeowners.
|4. Access to large loan amounts:
Home equity loans allow homeowners to access larger loan amounts compared to other financing options, making them suitable for major renovations.
However, there are some considerations when using home equity loans:
|1. Risk of losing the home:
If borrowers are unable to repay the home equity loans, they could risk losing their home as it serves as collateral for the home equity loans.
|2. Impact on equity:
Borrowing against home equity loans reduces the amount of equity homeowners have in their property. This could limit future borrowing capacity or affect the ability to sell the home.
|3. Interest costs over time:
While home equity loans may offer lower interest rates initially, the overall interest cost can be higher if the repayment period is extended.
When funding a house renovation, personal loans can be a viable option. Here are some key points to consider:
- Interest Rates: Personal loans, including personal loans for home renovations, typically have higher interest rates compared to home equity loans or savings. It’s important to research and compare interest rates from different lenders to find the best option for your personal loan.
- Loan Amount: Personal loans, specifically personal loans for home renovations, have varying limits based on factors such as credit score and income. It’s essential to calculate the estimated cost of your renovation project and ensure that the loan amount covers it adequately.
- Repayment Period: Personal loans usually have fixed repayment terms, which can range from a few months to several years. Consider your financial capabilities and choose a personal loan with a repayment period that suits your budget and allows you to comfortably manage monthly loan payments.
- Qualification Criteria: Lenders offering personal loans often have specific requirements such as minimum credit scores or income levels. Understand the qualification criteria and make sure you meet them before applying for a personal loan for your home renovation.
- Flexibility: Personal loans offer flexibility in terms of usage. When using a personal loan for a home renovation, you can use the funds for any aspect of your project, whether it’s purchasing materials or paying contractors.
When considering personal loans for home renovations, it’s crucial to evaluate your financial situation and determine if it is the most suitable option for your needs. Additionally, compare loan offers, including interest rates and any associated fees, to ensure that you can comfortably manage the monthly loan payments. Remember to explore other funding options like savings or home equity loans before making a final decision.
When funding your house renovation, credit cards can be a convenient option to consider. Here are some key points to keep in mind:
Check the credit limits on your cards to determine how much you can potentially borrow for your renovation project.
Research and compare the interest rates offered by different credit card providers. Look for cards with low-interest rates to minimize the overall cost of borrowing.
Some credit cards offer introductory 0% APR periods, which can be beneficial if you can pay off your renovation expenses within that timeframe.
Consider credit cards that offer rewards or cashback for your renovation expenses. This way, you can earn benefits or get some money back while completing your renovation project.
Credit cards provide flexibility in terms of payment options. You can choose to pay off the full amount at once or make minimum payments over time, depending on your financial situation.
Be aware of any additional fees associated with using credit cards for your renovation. These may include annual fees, balance transfer fees, or cash advance fees.
It’s important to have financial discipline when using credit cards for your renovation. Make a budget, track your expenses, and ensure you can repay the borrowed amount within a reasonable timeframe to avoid accumulating high-interest debt.
Using credit cards for your house renovation can provide convenience and flexibility, but it’s essential to consider your individual financial situation and compare the terms and conditions of different credit cards before making a decision.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How much does a home renovation project typically cost?
The cost of a home renovation project can vary significantly depending on factors such as the extent of the project, location, and type of renovation. On average, a home renovation can range from $40,000 to $300,000.
2. What are the key factors that affect the cost of a home renovation?
Several factors can impact the overall cost of a home renovation, including the size of the project, the type of renovation, labor costs, and the location of the property. Additionally, the age of the home, changes to the wall structure, permits, preparation, and potential repairs can also contribute to the overall cost.
3. What are some common costs associated with specific renovation types?
The costs of specific renovation types can vary. For example, kitchen remodels and room additions tend to be more expensive compared to other renovations. Adding a bathroom can cost between $9,000 and $50,000, while finishing a basement costs an average of $7 to $23 per square foot.
4. How much does it cost to renovate a kitchen or bathroom?
A kitchen renovation can cost between $23,000 and $135,000, with high-end renovations potentially reaching $149,079. On the other hand, a bathroom renovation typically ranges from $20,000 to $38,000, with high-end renovations costing around $75,692.
5. Is it more cost-effective to renovate or buy a new home?
Renovating a home can be a cost-effective alternative to selling and buying a new home. Depending on the specific circumstances, renovating an existing property may be more affordable compared to purchasing a new one, especially if the desired improvements can be achieved through renovations.
6. How are the costs of home renovation projects affected by COVID-19?
Due to the effects of COVID-19, homeowners have been spending approximately 48% less on renovation costs compared to before the pandemic. Financial strain has led to a preference for do-it-yourself projects and budget-friendly finishes to keep costs down.